Friday, April 23, 2010

New Awesome Hair - The Natural Way

OK... day one of my natural hair regimen, not regime, as J wanted to call it. dork.

Anyway, I have decided that I no longer want to use shampoo and conditioner because there is just too much stuff in them. Of course this all came about because I was Stumbling and came across THIS website. I have a problem with Stumbling. It leads to a few really good ideas and a lot of really bad ones. If you dont know what I am talking about, visit www.stumbleupon.com and check it out. It is REALLY cool!

So I have decided to start cleaning my hair with a mixture of 1 TBSP of baking soda and 1 cup water and conditioning with 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water. I did it for the first time this morning and it was kind of weird but it should work. I think I want to go get some super cute bottles to have in my shower to hold the concoctions. I have this overwhelming idea in my head of this gorgeous bathroom with cute glass bottles in blues and whites holding all natural cleansers and home made loofahs with scented candles and plants everywhere. Sort of a bathroom utopia. This bathroom utopia has not really come to fruition though. Instead, my bathroom has assorted bottles from many different manufacturers in various states of fullness, cheap plastic puff balls from Walgreen's, the overwhelming scent of kitty litter and cat poop (because my life revolves around poop) and the only thing that is growing is coming out of my drain. Needless to say, I have a lot of ideas an little follow through.

The hair, is my first step. If I can succeed in going shampoo and conditioner free, then I can get rid of all of the bottles in the shower. It is going to take a few weeks to figure out if it is going to work though. I read that there is a "detox" period where your hair can turn into an oil slick until it gets used to not having its own oils stripped off and fake ones put on. So, lets cross our fingers and hope this works. This can also save some money. I figure I spend about $250 a year on shampoo and conditioner. This would only cost me about $10 for the WHOLE YEAR! Holla! So I have to work now... Day 2 update tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

You can do it! We've been 'poo' free for almost 3 years now. It's wonderful, and my hair is sooo much happier! I love a little lavender and rosemary mixed with honey, vinegar and the gel from boiled flax seeds to nourish, condition and tame my tresses after scrubbing with the baking soda. Man, I don't even KNOW how much money I've saved on hair products since I've started this!